New GPS Accounts
New GPS Accounts
Before using many of the services and facilities provided by GPS, you must get an account. Please be sure to read the Institute Policy on Acceptable Use of Electronic Resources if you will be using any computing resources at Caltech.
GPS Linux Account
In addition to the computing resources and facilities provided by the Institute, the Division maintains a variety of shared Linux-based computing resources that are open for use by any current or new GPS member. These include a user web site, an FTP account and a Linux home directory space.
While these resources are available, they are not required for each new GPS user. A Caltech Institute account is sufficient but also necessary to access Caltech mandatory services such as employee time reporting. In addition, a Campus account is required to access campus services such as wireless access and software made available to campus members at a steep discount or even free of charge. Should you also wish to obtain a GPS account, or should your group require it, we recommend that you please follow these steps to obtain a new GPS account:
- Obtain a Caltech Institute email account. While not required for a GPS Linux Account, if you are eligible, first obtain your Caltech Institute email account. Your GPS Account will use the same username. For more information on obtaining an Institute email account, please refer to the IMSS Accounts, Passwords & Access page.
- Your GPS advisor (staff or faculty) requests a new GPS account for you. Ask your faculty advisor or staff supervisor to send an email to [email protected] with the following information, requesting that a new GPS Linux account be created for you:
- Your full name.
- Your Institute affiliation (undergraduate, graduate, staff, visitor, external collaborator).
- If available, your @caltech email address.
- An external contact email address for you.
- An expiration date for the account (can be extended at any time).
For more information and computing support, please contact GPS Help Staff ([email protected])