Paula (Smith) Antoshechkin
Senior Research Scientist
Research Interests: igneous petrology and geochemistry; thermodynamic models of liquid and solid phases; mantle melting and magma chamber processes; integration of melting with geodynamic models.
My research is described in more detail on the MAGMA website. That site hosts the download page and forum for alphaMELTS (formerly adiabat_1ph), our flexible text-menu based front-end to the MELTS, pMELTS, and pHMELTS models. Ed Stolper's mantle melting page describes a couple of the binary phase diagram movies that I made. An interactive movie server which allows the user to pick movies from many different binary systems, with a variety of plot types etc. is available at the MAGMA website. I am an admin on the MELTS Facebook page My personal page is here.
Education and positions held:
- University of Cambridge, UK - B.A., 1996; Ph.D., 2001; Research Assistant, 2001-2002;
- Caltech - Postdoctoral Scholar, 2003-2006; Research Scientist, 2006-2009; Associate Research Scientist 2009-
- Hamecher, Emily A. and Antoshechkina, Paula M. and Ghiorso, Mark S. and Asimow, Paul D. (2013) The molar volume of FeO–MgO–Fe_2O_3–Cr_2O_3–Al_2O_3–TiO_2 spinels. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology, 165 (1). pp. 25-43. ISSN 0010-7999. Download
- Hebert, Laura Baker and Asimow, Paul D. and Antoshechkina, Paula (2009) Fluid source-based modeling of melt initiation within the subduction zone mantle wedge: Implications for geochemical trends in arc lavas. Chemical Geology, 266 (3-4). pp. 297-310. ISSN 0009-2541. Download
- Hebert, Laura Baker and Antoshechkina, Paula and Asimow, Paul D. and Gurnis, Michael (2009) Emergence of a low-viscosity channel in subduction zones through the coupling of mantle flow and thermodynamics. Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 278 (3-4). pp. 243-256. ISSN 0012-821X. Download
- Thompson, R. N. and Ottley, C. J. and Smith, P. M. and Pearson, D. G. and Dickin, A. P. and Morrison, M. A. and Leat, P. T. and Gibson, S. A. (2005) Source of the Quaternary Alkalic Basalts, Picrites and Basanites of the Potrillo Volcanic Field, New Mexico, USA: Lithosphere or Convecting Mantle? Journal of Petrology, 46 (8). pp. 1603-1643. ISSN 0022-3530. Download
- Smith, Paula M. and Asimow, Paul D. (2005) Adiabat_1ph: A new public front-end to the MELTS, pMELTS, and pHMELTS models. Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems, 6 (1). 2004GC000816. ISSN 1525-2027. Download
- Smith, P. M. and Asimow, Paul D. and Stolper, E. M. (2003) Thermodynamic modelling of melting in chemically heterogenous mixtures of peridotite and pyroxenite. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 67 (18). A440. ISSN 0016-7037. Download