GPS now offers a Remote Support tool that allows you to remotely share your Windows or Mac desktop with our computer support staff. For most computer issues, this tool allows us to assist you without having to make a site visit, so problems are resolved faster and more efficiently. Please note that the Remote Support tool can only be initiated by you, not by GPS computer support staff. You must launch the Remote Support tool from your computer and request our support for us to gain shared access to your desktop.
This new tool is ideal for:
• Assisting division users with computing issues that are difficult to describe via e-mail or over the phone
• Assisting division users whose computers are not regularly managed by us
• Assistance while traveling or working from home
Using Remote Support is simple. To use the tool:
• Please contact Ken Ou, Scott Dungan or Mike Black by phone or firstname.lastname@example.org to request support. We will arrange a time to assist you with your issue using the Remote Support tool.
• Ensure that your computer is able to connect to the internet.
• When you are ready to share your desktop, click on the appropriate link below, call one of us for the username & password and download the Remote Support tool.
• The Remote Support tool runs without installing any software on your computer. Once downloaded, double click the tool to begin.
• When launched, the Remote Support tool will display a 9 digit session ID. Once you provide this ID to us, you can share your desktop with us and we can assist you with your computer issue.
• Upon resolving the issue, you can safely delete the Remote Support download tool from your computer. Again, no software is installed when using this tool, so nothing needs to be uninstalled.
• Does Remote Support work with Linux?
The Remote Support tool does not support Linux at this time, but support may be offered in the future.
• Will this work over the Caltech Wireless network?
Yes, Remote Support will work over the wireless network.
• Do I need administrative rights on my computer to use Remote Support?
Remote Support doesn't install anything on your computer so it does not require administrative rights.
• What should I do with the Remote Support tool after my issue has been resolved?
You can simply delete the downloaded tool.
• Is Remote Support secure?
Yes, Remote Support offers many security features:
▪ We can only use this tool if you call or e-mail us for assistance and you launch the tool on your computer.
▪ Nothing needs to be installed on your computer to use this tool.
▪ The connection between is fully encrypted.