Kenneth A. Farley
For a complete publications list, see
Last Updated May 15, 2006
Want a reprint or preprint? Contact me: firstname.lastname@example.org
1. K.A. Farley and K.K. Turekian, 210Pb in the Circumpolar South Atlantic, Deep Sea Research, 37 (1990) 1849-1860.
2. K.A. Farley, James H. Natland, and H. Craig, Binary mixing of enriched and undegassed (primitive?) mantle components (He, Sr, Nd, Pb) in Samoan basalts. Earth Planet. Sci. Lett., 111 (1992) 183-199.
4. K.A. Farley and H. Craig, Mantle plumes and mantle sources, Science, 258 (1992) 821.
6. K.A. Farley and R.J. Poreda, Mantle neon and atmospheric contamination, Earth Planet. Sci. Lett., 114 (1993) 325-339.
7. K.A. Farley, Is "primordial" helium really extraterrestrial?, Science, 261 (1993) 166-167.
8. K.A. Farley and H. Craig, Atmospheric argon contamination of ocean island basalt olivine phenocrysts, Geochim. et Cosmochim. Acta., 58 (1994) 2509-2517.
9. K.A. Farley, R.J. Poreda, and T.C. Onstott, Noble gases in deformed xenoliths from an ocean island: characterization of a metasomatic fluid, Noble Gas Geochemistry and Cosmochemistry (ed. J.I. Matsuda), Terrapub, Tokyo (1994) 159-178.
10. T. Torgerson, S. Drenkard, K. Farley, P. Schlosser, and A. Shapiro, Mantle helium in groundwater of the Mirror Lake Basin, New Hampshire, USA, in Noble Gas Geochemistry and Cosmochemistry (ed. J.I. Matsuda), Terrapub, Tokyo (1994) 279-292.
11. K.A. Farley, E. Maier-Reimer, P. Schlosser, and W.S. Broecker, Constraints on mantle 3He fluxes and deep-sea circulation from an oceanic general circulation model, J. Geophys. Res., 100 (1995) 3829-3839.
12. K.A. Farley (ed), Volatiles in the Earth and Solar System, AIP Conference Proceedings 341, AIP, New York, (1995).
13. K.A. Farley, D. Patterson, and B. McInnes, He isotopic investigation of geothermal gases from the Tabar-Lihir-Tanga-Feni Arc and Rabaul, Papua New Guinea, in Volatiles in the Earth and Solar System (ed. K.A. Farley), AIP, New York, (1995) 81-90.
16. J.M. Eiler, K.A. Farley, J.W. Valley, E.M.Stolper, E.H. Hauri, and H. Craig, Oxygen isotope evidence against bulk recycled sediment in the mantle sources of Pitcairn Island lavas, Nature, 377 (1995) 138-141.
18. K.A. Farley, R.A. Wolf, and L.T. Silver, The effects of long alpha-stopping distances on (U-Th)/He dates, Geochim. et Cosmochim. Acta, 60 (1996) 4223-4229.
19. R.A. Wolf, K.A. Farley, and L.T. Silver, Helium diffusion and low temperature thermochronometry of apatite, Geochim. et Cosmochim. Acta, 60 (1996) 4231-4240.
20. J.M. Eiler, K.A. Farley, J.W. Valley, A.W. Hofmann, and E.M. Stolper, Oxygen isotope constraints on the sources of Hawaiian volcanism, Earth Planet. Sci. Lett, 144 (1996) 453-467.
21. J.M. Eiler, K.A. Farley, J.W. Valley, E. Hauri, H. Craig, S.R. Hart, and E.M. Stolper, Oxygen isotope variations in ocean island basalt phenocrysts, Geochim. et Cosmochim. Acta, 61 (1997) 2281-2293.
22. K.A. Farley, S.G. Love, and D.B. Patterson, Atmospheric entry heating and helium retentivity of interplanetary dust particles, Geochim. et Cosmochim. Acta, 61 (1997) 2309-2316.
23. R.A. Wolf, K.A. Farley, and L.T. Silver, Assessment of (U-Th)/He thermochronometry: the low temperature history of Mt. San Jacinto, California, Geology, 25 (1997) 65-68.
24. D.B. Patterson, K.A. Farley, and B. McInnes, Helium isotopic composition of geothermal gases, phenocrysts and xenoliths from the Tabar-Lihir-Tanga-Feni Island arc, Papua New Guinea, Geochim. et Cosmochim. Acta, 61 (1997) 2485-2496.
25. P.G. Burnard, K.A. Farley, and G. Turner, Multiple fluid phases in a Samoan harzburgite, Chem. Geol., 147 (1998) 99-114.
26. M.A. House, B.P. Wernicke, K.A. Farley, and T.A. Dumitru, Cenozoic thermal evolution of the central Sierra Nevada, California, from (U-Th)/He thermochronometry, Earth Planet. Sci. Lett., 151 (1997) 167-179.
27. J.M. Eiler, K.A. Farley, and E.M. Stolper, Correlated He and Pb isotope variations in Hawaiian lavas, Geochim. et Cosmochim. Acta.,62, 1977-1984, (1998).
28. J. Spotilla, K.A. Farley, and K. Sieh, Low temperature thermochronometry of the San Bernardino mountains, Tectonics, 17 (1998) 360-378.
30. R.A. Wolf, K.A. Farley, and D.M. Kass, A sensitivity analysis of the apatite (U-Th)/He thermochronometer, Chem. Geol.,148 (1998) 105-114.
31. D.B. Patterson, K.A. Farley, and M.D. Norman, 4He as a tracer of continental dust - a two million year record of aeolian flux to the equatorial western Pacific, Geochim. et Cosmochim. Acta, 63, 615-625, (1999).
32. D.B. Patterson and K.A. Farley, Extraterrestrial 3He in seafloor sediments: evidence for correlated 100 ka periodicity in the accretion rate of interplanetary dust, orbital parameters, and Quaternary climate, Geochim. et Cosmochim. Acta., 62, 3669-3682, (1998).
35. D. B. Patterson, K.A. Farley, and B. Schmitz, Preservation of extraterrestrial 3He in a 480 Ma marine limestone, Earth Planet. Sci. Lett., 163 (1998) 315-325.
37. B.I.A. McInnes, K.A. Farley, R.H. Sillitoe, and B.P. Kohn, Application of apatite (U-Th)/He thermochronometry to the determination of the sense and amount of vertical fault displacement at the Chuqicamata porphyry copper deposit, Chile, Econ. Geol, 94, 937-947 (1999).
39. K.A. Farley, P.W. Reiners, and V. Nenow, An apparatus for high-precision helium diffusion measurements from minerals, Anal. Chem., 71 2059-2061 (1999).
40. G.J. Axen, M. Grove, D. Stockli, D.A. Rothstein, J.M. Fletcher, K.A. Farley, and P.L. Abbott, Thermal evolution of Monte Blanco dome: Low angle normal during Gulf of California rifting and late Eocene denudationof the eastern Peninsular Ranges, Tectonics, 19, 197-212 (2000).
41. A.E. Blythe, D.W. Burbank, K.A. Farley, and E.J. Fielding, Structural and topographic evolution of the central Transverse Ranges, California, from apatite fission track, (U-Th)/He and digital elevation model analyses, Basin Research, in press (2000).
42. P.W. Reiners, R. Brady, K.A. Farley, J. Fryxell, B. Wernicke, D. Lux, Helium and argon thermochronometry of the Gold Butte Block, south Virgin Mountains, Nevada, Earth Planet. Sci. Lett, in press (2000).
45. J.M. Eiler, A. Crawford, T. Elliot, K.A. Farley, J.W. Vallley, and E.M. Stolper, Oxygen isotope geochemistry of oceanic-arc lavas, Journal Of Petrology, 41, 229-256 (2000).
46. P.G. Burnard and K.A. Farley, Calibration of pressure-dependent sensitivity and discrimination in Nier-type noble gas ion sources, G3, paper number 2000GC00038 (2000).
49. G.T. Batt, M.T. Brandon, K.A. Farley, and M.K. Roden-Tice. Tectonic synthesis of the Olympic Mountains segment of the Cascadia Wedge, using 2-D thermal and kinematic modeling of isotopic ages, Journal of Geophysical Research, 106, 26731-26746 (2001).
50. K.A. Farley, Extraterrestrial Helium in Seafloor Sediments: Identification, Characteristics, and Accretion Rate over Geologic Time, in Peucker-Ehrinbrink, B., and Schmitz, B., eds., Accretion of Extraterrestrial Matter Throughout Earthâ€™s History, Kluwer, New York, p. 179-204 (2001).
51. S. Mukhopadhyay, K. A. Farley and A. Montanari, A 35 Myr record of helium in pelagic limestones: implications for interplanetary dust accretion from the early Maastrichtian to the Middle Eocene, Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 65, 653-659 (2001).
53. M.A. House, B.P. Wernicke and K.A. Farley, Paleo-geomorphology of the Sierra Nevada, California, from (U-Th)/He ages in apatite, American Journal of Science, 301, 77-102 (2001).
54. S. Mukhopadhyay, K.A. Farley, and A. Montanari, A short duration of the Cretaceous-Tertiary boundary event: Evidence from extraterrestrial helium-3, Science, 291, 1952-1955 (2001).
55. K.A. Farley, T.E. Cerling, and P.G. Fitzgerald, Cosmogenic He-3 in igneous and fossil tooth enamel fluorapatite, Earth Planet. Sci. Lett, 185, 7-14 (2001).
57. P.W. Reiners and K.A. Farley, Influence of crystal size on apatite (U-Th)/He thermochronology: an example from the Bighorn Mountains, Wyoming, Earth Planet. Sci. Lett., 188, 413-420 (2001).
58. P.R. Renne, K.A. Farley, T.A. Becker and W.D. Sharp, Terrestrial cosmogenic argon, Earth and Planetary Science Letters 188, 435-440 (2001).
59. E. Kirby, P.W. Reiners, M.A. Krol, K.X. Whipple, K.V. Hodges, K.A. Farley, W.Q. Tang and Z.L. Chen, Late Cenozoic evolution of the eastern margin of the Tibetan Plateau: Inferences from Ar-40/Ar-39 and (U-Th)/He thermochronology, Tectonics 21, art. no.-1001 (2002).
61. M.A. House, B.P. Kohn, K.A. Farley and A. Raza, Evaluating thermal history models for the Otway Basin, southeastern Australia, using (U-Th)/He and fission-track data from borehole apatites, Tectonophysics 349, 277-295 (2002).
62. K.A. Farley, B.P. Kohn and B. Pillans, The effects of secular disequilibrium on (U-Th)/He systematics and dating of Quaternary volcanic zircon and apatite, Earth and Planetary Science Letters 201, 117-125 (2002).
63. D.F. Stockli, B.E. Surpless, T.A. Dumitru and K.A. Farley, Thermochronological constraints on the timing and magnitude of Miocene and Pliocene extension in the central Wassuk Range, western Nevada, Tectonics 21, art. no.-1028 (2002).
64. P.G. Burnard, D.W. Graham and K.A. Farley, Mechanisms of magmatic gas loss along the Southeast Indian Ridge and the Amsterdam -St. Paul Plateau, Earth and Planetary Science Letters 203, 131-148 (2002).
65. K.A. Farley and D.F. Stockli, (U-Th)/He dating of phosphates: Apatite, monazite, and xenotime, in: Phosphates: Geochemical, Geobiological, and Materials Importance, REVIEWS IN MINERALOGY & GEOCHEMISTRY 48, pp. 559-577 (2002).
67. S. Mukhopadhyay, J.C. Lassiter, K.A. Farley and S.W. Bogue, Geochemistry of Kauai shield-stage lavas: Implications for the chemical evolution of the Hawaiian plume, Geochemistry Geophysics Geosystems 4, art. no.-1009 (2003).
69. T. Tagami, K.A. Farley and D.F. Stockli, (U-Th)/He geochronology of single zircon grains of known Tertiary eruption age, Earth and Planetary Science Letters 207, 57-67 (2003).
71. K.W. Min, K.A. Farley, P.R. Renne and K. Marti, Single grain (U-Th)/He ages from phosphates in Acapulco meteorite and implications for thermal history, Earth and Planetary Science Letters 209, 323-336 (2003).
72. P.A. Armstrong, T.A. Ehlers, D.S. Chapman, K.A. Farley and P.J.J. Kamp, Exhumation of the central Wasatch Mountains, Utah: 1. Patterns and timing of exhumation deduced from low-temperature thermochronology data, Journal of Geophysical Research-Solid Earth 108, art. no.-2172 (2003).
73. D.F. Stockli, T.A. Dumitru, M.O. McWilliams and K.A. Farley, Cenozoic tectonic evolution of the White Mountains, California and Nevada, Geological Society of America Bulletin 115, 788-816 (2003).
75. D.L. Shuster, K.A. Farley, J.M. Sisterson and D.S. Burnett, Quantifying the diffusion kinetics and spatial distributions of radiogenic He-4 in minerals containing proton-induced He-3, Earth and Planetary Science Letters 217, 19-32 (2004).
77. R.K. Workman, S.R. Hart, M. Jackson, M. Regelous, K.A. Farley, J. Blusztajn, M. Kurz and H. Staudigel, Recycled metasomatized lithosphere as the origin of the enriched mantle II (EM2) end-member: Evidence from the Samoan volcanic chain, Geochemistry Geophysics Geosystems 5, art. no.-Q04008 (2004).
78. P.G. Burnard, D. Graham and K.A. Farley, Fractionation of noble gases (He, Ar) during MORB mantle melting: A case study on the Southeast Indian Ridge., Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 227, 457-472 (2004).
79. C. Koeberl, K.A. Farley, B. Peucker-Ehrinbrink and M. Sephton, Geochemistry of the Permian-Triassic boundary in Austria and Italy: No evidence for extraterrestrial impact, Geology 32, 1053-1056 (2004).
81. D.X. Belton, R.W. Brown, B.P. Kohn, D. Fink, K.A. Farley, Quantitative resolution of the debate over antiquity of the central Australian landscape: implications for the tectonic and geomorphic stability of cratonic interiors, Earth And Planetary Science Letters 219, 21-34 (2004).
82. R.A. Keller, D.W. Graham, K.A. Farley, R.A. Duncan, E. Lupton, Cretaceous-to-recent record of elevated He-3/He-4 along the Hawaiian-Emperor volcanic chain, Geochemistry Geophysics Geosystems 5, Art. No. Q12L05 (2004).
84. D.L. Shuster, K.A. Farley, Diffusion kinetics of proton-induced Ne-21, He-3, and He-4 in quartz, Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 69 2349-2359 (2005).
85. D.L. Shuster, P.M. Vasconcelos, J.A. Heim, K.A. Farley, Weathering geochronology by (U-Th)/He dating of goethite, Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 69, 659-673 (2005).
86. K.A. Farley, P. Ward, G. Garrison, and S. Mukhopadhyay, Absence of extraterrestrial 3He in Permian-Triassic age sedimentary rocks, Earth and Planetary Science Letters 240 265-275 (2005).