Accessing GPS Email Via POP
Before deciding to choose the POP protocol for your desktop email program, please read over our Choices for Accessing GPS Email page. We recommend the IMAP protocol rather than POP if you will be checking your email from multiple computers or multiple programs.
Recommended POP Settings
Here are the recommended POP settings. You should check to make sure you have these set in your POP email program:
- Incoming server type = POP
- Incoming server name = pop.gps.caltech.edu
- Incoming server security settings = SSL ( port 995 )
- Outgoing server type = SMTP
- Outgoing server name = smtp.gps.caltech.edu
- Outgoing server security settings = TLS ( port 25 or 587 )
PLease not that many email clients require you to go into the account settings to enable security settings for incoming and out going mail servers after the account is created through a new account wizard.
For step-by-step POP instructions for common email clients, please the IMSS Step-by-Step Email Configuration Guides. *Note: These guides were written for @Caltech email accounts. Please substitute the settings above when following the IMSS guides.